Friday, June 11, 2010

Day 4 - Vigelandsparken and back to Singapore (Part Two)

It’s now 11:30pm Oslo time and I’m typing this onboard a Boeing 747 on the way to Singapore from London.  Today I visited Vigelandsparken and it was every thing I hoped it would be, although I thought Sinnataggen would be much bigger.  The park itself is quite big and you can easily spend 2 hours or so there which was about the length of time I spent.  You can walk to it from Majorstuen station which is only one stop away from the National Theatre.

Here’s some photos.



















Majorstuen station, this is where you stop to walk to Vigelandsparken.



















Entrance to Vigelandsparken.

























Mr Vigeland, nice to meet you.
















One of the many statues along the bridge to the water fountain.











































Sinnataggen, the little angry boy!!



















The water fountain features 6 gaints carrying a vessel.  The bridge links the fountain to the entrance area.



















Children playing in the park, there were many of them.

























The Clan, given by IBM as a gift.  In front of this you can see the water fountain in the distance.



















Tripod to the rescue when you do not have any other person accompanying you.



















Mr Tripod helping me out again.  Next to the Girl and the Lizard from 1938.




















The Monolith, 17m tall featuring 121 human figures supporting each other and surrounded by 36 groups of human granite figures.



















One of the entrances to the Monolith.



















Human granite figures.

























Sundial located behind the monolith.



















The Wheel of Life, featuring a garland of men, women and children holding on to each other in an endless cycle.  You can see the monolith in the distance.











































The bridge from a different section of the park.



















Taken from the Oslo bymuseum, I took a walk there afterward, it's in the park as well.

























Scary looking man.



















Fancy some corporal punishment? :D

























Also I saw this!  A bust of Abraham Lincoln presented as a gift.  For a moment I almost thought I was in the wrong country.





































Catching the train back to Nationaltheatret!

All in all I had a pretty good time in Oslo, and manage to do everything that I wanted to do even though my original flight was cancelled and I lost my luggage for 24 hours.   It all worked out eventually.  I guess the highlight would have to be Vigelandsparken, Oslo itself is a very nice city especially in summer when it never really gets dark and also there aren’t too many people.  Although I didn’t expect the summer to be cold.  My interview itself was fun too just need to get things sorted out now, contracts and whatever.  I haven’t really made up my mind if I should go or not it will all depend on the contract, Mona told me a whole bunch of things that I don’t have concrete details of.  I just remembered they also provide unlimited soft drinks and surprisingly they even provide unlimited beer at the office!  Also their monitors are pretty good too, it’s standard to have 1920 x 1600 resolution.  Anyway, I don’t think the above matters to any non geek but thought I’ll say it anyway.

Well I am off to have dinner now, it’s creamy spinach and mushroom risotto.

=======
I am back in Singapore now, the above was typed when I was still on board the plane but the photos were updated later.  Just had a yummy dinner of tim sum, miam miam.

No comments:

Post a Comment