Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Day 3 - Interviews at Lysaker, Sightseeing at the Oslo fjord and Akershus Slott, food shopping at Oslo Central Station

Today was mostly consumed by interviews, I woke up at 4am this morning then fell in and out of sleep till 7:30am. Had a shower, breakfast (saw another man who had the same Norway travel book as I!) then caught a cab to Lysaker through the hotel. The interview location was.. pretty interesting. It's located in an area that's almost completely surrounded by trees with no other surrounding buildings. Nice. I had my id taken then met Mona the director, after a chat (going through my references and other papers) and a visit to the company's showroom I met the rest of the team, Tom and the other software engineers. It was pretty alright, we just chatted, talked about work that I've done and am currently doing. Then had a quick lunch at the company cafeteria. The food was quite decent, baked potatoes, crumbed fish and salad. If you were hungry you could go for seconds but I was well, rather not hungry from jet lag. Been surviving on nothing but coffee the past few days. There's Walter (who is Dutch, unsure about name spelling?) and another Norwegian guy (who is half Scottish) who I spoke to. I was saying how cold it is even though it's summer and the Norwegian guy was saying how it's humid today and I said I can't feel anything. Haha! After lunch I had another interview with Andre's team, Thomas (unsure about spelling?) and then Andre again, he was the last person to interview me and he asked lots of technical questions.  Thomas is quite the geek.  He built a laser system that keeps track of who scores goals in fussball, there's even a table that keeps track of everything!

Then Tom, Mona and Andre went to a corner and had a discussion and made a Yes decision. Actually, Mona made it quite clear at the beginning of the day that I pretty much already have the job and just asked what questions I had. To be honest my brain wasn't working much today and in the afternoon my brain just went poof. Anyway I'm glad it's done, she just said the contract will have to be sent to me as since they got bought over there's no concrete process on drafting one yet so I'll just have to wait. I also asked her where was a good place to buy chocolates. :D Oh I also got some of the receipts sorted out which is good!

So I left about 4pm after thanking Mona for her time. Caught the train from Lysaker to the National Theatre then walked to Aker Brygge and caught the Oslo fjord sightseeing tour that goes around the islands for 2 hours.  Which is good because I got time to do some fun(ner) things!

Here's some photos.



















On board the ferry.



















Oslo opera house.   It's supposed to look like a glaciar.  The roof slopes and you can walk on it.



















Houses on the islands surrounding the fjord.



















Bath houses.
















Boats.

After that I took a walk to Akershus Slott which is a fortress and a castle.

Here's some photos. It's pretty during the evenings.
























































Akershus Slott from the ferry.  Part of it's under renovations i.e. blue scaffolding.

Had a quick walk to Oslo Central Station and bought some food to take back. Chocolates and things in a tube. Caviar and mackerel. There's even bacon and ham in a tube. Didn't get those though.



















The above is the Norwegian stock market, I took this while walking towards Central Station.



















Took the above shot walking towards the stock market from Akershus Slott.

Finally I had dinner at the same place as yesterday, Egon, this time I had Chicken Fajitas. Then walked back to the hotel. I'm really buggered!  Tomorrow morning I intend to go to Vigelandsparken then catch the plane to London and then to Singapore, tomorrow late afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment